Core Essentials: Top Pilates Tips from Glenwood Hot Springs Instructors
Pilates is a mind-body workout that delivers impressive results. It works for everyone from elite athletes and weekend warriors to rehabilitation patients and older adults. Glenwood Hot Springs Athletic Club instructors sound off with their top Pilates tips.
From Suzanne who teaches Pilates Mat, Pilates Chair and Pilates Bands Balls & Rings
- Breathe! Your breath regulates the flow of energy and delivers oxygen to your muscles. Connecting breath to movement is an essential step in nurturing the mind-body relationship.
- Don't think! Instead, clear your mind as you connect, engage and integrate movements for better posture, internal strength, tone, balance and flexibility.
From Patti who teaches Classic Pilates Mat/Chair
- Don’t underestimate stretching. Stretching helps pump vital nutrients to your muscles and tendons, stimulating the production of joint lubricants.
- Think beyond the six-pack and don’t get discouraged. When you practice Pilates you are working the small deep muscles of your core which are essential for everyday movement including walking, balance and coordination. Sure, everyone wants ripped abs, but a healthy stable core is more important.
Ann who teaches Pilates Mat/Chair
- Stay focused. As you move through the Pilates exercises visualize how your muscles are lengthening and getting stronger. This is also a good way boost the mind-body connection.
- Make taking a Pilates class part of your weekly schedule. You won’t do it if you don’t plan it in advance. With Pilates you’ll see results that will not only boost your fitness, but will improve your overall health and wellbeing.