Guard on Duty: 8 Reasons to Swim at the Pool!
1. Heart Helper. Swimming provides unparalleled cardiovascular conditioning.
2. Balance Your Build. Swimming builds longer, leaner muscles that complement the shorter denser muscles that develop from weight training.
3. Cross-training. Swimming gives your body a break from higher-impact activities. A balanced workout routine helps athletes avoid injury by allowing the body time to heal, while not forgoing daily training sessions.
4. Increased Flexibility. A heated pool relaxes muscles, increasing flexibility and facilitating stretching.
5. Strengthen Your Core. Swimming develops core body strength because it utilizes all the body's muscles simultaneously. Although 70 percent of a swimmer's effort comes from the upper body, kickboard and fin workouts can provide an excellent leg workout.
6. Endurance. With the right technique, a swimmer will be able to train for longer periods of time than if he/she was running and, as a result, more calories are burned.
7. Social Outlet. Bring your friends and workout together instead of going out for coffee or lunch. You’ll burn calories and have fun at the same time.
8. Weight Loss. Calorie-burning and low-impact, swimming is an effective exercise for those seeking to lose weight.